Southern Honduras Feature
Top Reasons to Go
Bask in the colonial past. The town of Yuscarán might not have a must-see sightseeing list with items for you to check off, but few Honduran towns have preserved their colonial heritage as lovingly as this oasis tucked away in the hills.
Enjoy a good cigar. Not that we would ever advocate smoking, but if you're already a connoisseur of fine cigars, the colonial town of Danlí is your place to buy a quality Honduran product and learn how the tobacco is grown, harvested, cured, and rolled. The climate is nearly perfect for the fine art of cigar making.
Find a secluded beach. Beach and privacy long ago became a contradiction in terms on much of Honduras's Caribbean coast, but on Isla del Tigre, just off the Pacific coast, they're practically synonyms.
Pay homage to "El Sabio." Arguably Honduras's most revered figure, independence hero José Cecilio del Valle ("the Wise One") was born in Choluteca. A visit to his home gives you insight into the history of this sometimes-complicated country.
Fodor's Trip Planning Ideas
- Fodor's 100 Hotel Awards: Check out the winners of 2013
- Weekend Getaways: Fodor's Recommends the Best Weekend Escapes in the US
- Great American Vacation: Find Your Next U.S. Trip with Fodor's
- 80 Degrees: Fodor's Helps You Find Your Best Beach Vacation Spots
- Best of Europe: Fodor's Picks the Best Places to Visit in Europe