- Places to Explore
- Travel Tips
Getting Here and Around
Aerolíneas Sosa flies Monday-Saturday from La Ceiba to the Utila Airport on the East End. Taxis into town linger around the airport and cost L50 each for a shared cab and L100 for solo passengers. If you booked your flight through a travel agency, those companies can also arrange for taxis to pick you up.
The easiest way to get to Utila, however, is on the Utila Princess II. The ferry makes the hour-long trip daily from La Ceiba's Muelle de Cabotaje at 9:30 am and 4 pm, with return trips at 6:20 am and 2 pm from Utila's municipal dock. Choppy waters or heavy rains can cause cancellations.
There are no direct flights or ferries from Roatán to Utila. From Roatán, travelers can take the MV Galaxy Wave at 9:30 am back to La Ceiba and hang around the docks until the Utila Princess II's 2 pm departure. Captain Vern Fine also runs a catamaran service between Roatán and Utila. The trip lasts three to four hours and is not advisable for those who are easily seasick. Call ahead of time to reserve a spot on the boat. The captain takes one day off a week, usually Tuesday.
Once you're on Utila, it's quite easy to walk to everything. Three-wheel tuk-tuk taxis zip around Utila Town for L20 to L25 a ride, and golf carts, scooters, and bicycles are available for rent.
- 80 Degrees: Fodor's Helps You Find Your Best Beach Vacation Spots
- Fodor's Go List 2014: Where we are going in 2014
- World Cup Fever: Start planning your trip to Brazil!
- Fodor's 100 Hotel Awards: Check out the winners of 2013
- Weekend Getaways: Fodor's Recommends the Best Weekend Escapes in the US
- Great American Vacation: Find Your Next U.S. Trip with Fodor's