- Places to Explore
- Travel Tips
The most popular (and affordable) way to get to Roatán and Utila is by ferry. Boats head out twice daily from the Muelle de Cabotaje in La Ceiba, with two return trips from the islands.
The MV Galaxy Wave makes the trip to Roatán in 90 minutes and has comfortable seats, a snack bar, and a first-class level upstairs. The Utila Princess II takes an hour to make the voyage and is a smaller boat with wood benches and powerful air-conditioning. Ferry rides are subject to cancellation if the weather is bad or the waters are choppy. Stewards walk around with plastic bags for the faint of stomach.
Ferries to Guanaja no longer operate, although the Bolea Express, a private speedboat, can be chartered to and from Trujillo. Call ahead to make a reservation and set a price.
Ferries and Contacts
MV Galaxy Wave (Muelle de Cabotaje, La Ceiba. 443-4633. Ferry Terminal, Roatán. 445-1795. www.safewaymaritime.com. $28 one way, $54 round-trip. Daily 9:30 am and 4:30 pm from La Ceiba, and 7 am and pm from Roatán.)
Utila Princess II (Muelle de Cabotaje, La Ceiba. 408-5163. Utila municipal dock, Utila. 425-3390. $22 one way. No credit cards. Daily 9:30 am and 4:00 pm from La Ceiba, and 6:20 am and 2 pm from Utila).)
Bolea Express (Zapata dock in Bonnaca Town, Guanaja. 9944-8571. No credit cards. From Guanaja, Mon. and Fri. at 9 am.)
Free Fodor's Newsletter
Subscribe today for weekly travel inspiration, tips, and special offers.
Fodor's Trip Planning Ideas
- Weekend Getaways: Fodor's Recommends the Best Weekend Escapes in the US
- Great American Vacation: Find Your Next U.S. Trip with Fodor's
- 80 Degrees: Fodor's Helps You Find Your Best Beach Vacation Spots
- Go List: Fodor's Top 25 Places to Go in 2013
- Hotel Awards 2012: Fodor's 100 Top Hotels
- Best of Europe: Fodor's Picks the Best Places to Visit in Europe
- $79-$85 -- Riviera Maya 4-Star All-Inclusive Resort, 55% Off BookIt.com
- $110 & up -- San Diego: Gaslamp Quarter Hotel, Save $150 Expedia
- $669 & up -- Cabo All-Inclusive 5-Night Trip w/Air, $200 Off CheapCaribbean.com
- $1099 -- Balcony on New Ship to Curacao MSC Cruises
- $7 & up -- Car Rentals across Mexico CarRentals.com