- Places to Explore
- Travel Tips
Punta Gorda is a tranquil town on the northeast end of Roatán, where travelers can catch a glimpse of the enduring Garífuna culture that hails back to the 18th century. On April 12, residents celebrate their ancestors' arrival to the island with a daylong carnival of dancing, drinking, and rhythmic percussion. Uninterrupted views of azure reefs once attracted dive hotels to the beachfront community, but the resorts have since closed up shop, and only a few local eateries serving traditional seafood remain. A wood sign along the main highway directs drivers down a steep hill into town.
Elsewhere in Roatán
- 80 Degrees: Fodor's Helps You Find Your Best Beach Vacation Spots
- Fodor's Go List 2014: Where we are going in 2014
- World Cup Fever: Start planning your trip to Brazil!
- Fodor's 100 Hotel Awards: Check out the winners of 2013
- Weekend Getaways: Fodor's Recommends the Best Weekend Escapes in the US
- Great American Vacation: Find Your Next U.S. Trip with Fodor's