- Places to Explore
- Travel Tips
Getting Here and Around
Boats to Cayos Cochinos depart from La Ceiba's Muelle de Cabotaje, the coastal Garífuna towns Sambo Creek and Nueva Armenia, and from Roatán. From the mainland, it's about 45 minutes to Cayo Menor, depending on surf conditions.
Guests at the Plantation Beach Resort on Cayo Mayor can arrange for a yacht to shuttle them from La Ceiba. Tour operator TURASER makes daily trips from its office at the Palma Real Resort outside of La Ceiba. Honduras Tourist Options and Pirate Islands Divers depart from Sambo Creek with prior reservations. Local fishermen can transport tourists out to the islands, although it's better to go with a guide. From Roatán, private charters will sail for three days and two nights to Cayos Cochinos.
Once you're there, it's unlikely you'll need to arrange individual transportation. In the event that you do, locals steering motorized canoes, called cayukos, can give you a ride for a negotiable rate.
Guided trips from the mainland or Roatán offer dive and snorkel packages for day trips or overnights and might include lodging and meals. Contact Honduras Turist Options in La Ceiba. If you're traveling from Roatán with Roatán Shore Tours, ask for Captain Hank.
Fodor's Trip Planning Ideas
- Fodor's 100 Hotel Awards: Check out the winners of 2013
- Weekend Getaways: Fodor's Recommends the Best Weekend Escapes in the US
- Great American Vacation: Find Your Next U.S. Trip with Fodor's
- 80 Degrees: Fodor's Helps You Find Your Best Beach Vacation Spots
- Best of Europe: Fodor's Picks the Best Places to Visit in Europe