La Mosquitía has no ATMs, but the bank in Puerto Lempira, the only one in the region, can issue cash advances on Visa cards. Outside the capital city, every place else takes cash lempiras only. Be sure to have plenty of small bills on hand, as most family-run operations can't break big notes. A five-day trip via land might cost over $400 including transportation, lodging, meals, and tour guides, for example. Keep your cash in a money belt around your waist, not as much to prevent theft, but to ensure that none of your precious bills get left behind.
Banco Atlántida. Puerto Lempira. 898-7580. www.bancatlan.hn. Mon.-Fri. 8:30-4:30, Sat. 8:30-11:30.
Free Fodor's Newsletter
Subscribe today for weekly travel inspiration, tips, and special offers.
Fodor's Trip Planning Ideas
- Weekend Getaways: Fodor's Recommends the Best Weekend Escapes in the US
- Great American Vacation: Find Your Next U.S. Trip with Fodor's
- 80 Degrees: Fodor's Helps You Find Your Best Beach Vacation Spots
- Go List: Fodor's Top 25 Places to Go in 2013
- Hotel Awards 2012: Fodor's 100 Top Hotels
- Best of Europe: Fodor's Picks the Best Places to Visit in Europe
- $80 -- Wyndham Cabo San Lucas Resort, Incl. 25% Meals CheapCaribbean.com
- $115-$149 -- Cancun: 4-Star Resort w/Breakfast, 35% Off The Westin Resort & Spa, Cancun
- $599 & up -- All-Incl. Riviera Maya Adult-Only Resort w/Air CheapCaribbean.com
- $499 -- New Ship to Cozumel on 6-Night Cruise MSC Cruises
- $3.42 & up -- Car Rentals across Mexico CarRentals.com