La Mosquitía has no ATMs, but the bank in Puerto Lempira, the only one in the region, can issue cash advances on Visa cards. Outside the capital city, every place else takes cash lempiras only. Be sure to have plenty of small bills on hand, as most family-run operations can't break big notes. A five-day trip via land might cost over $400 including transportation, lodging, meals, and tour guides, for example. Keep your cash in a money belt around your waist, not as much to prevent theft, but to ensure that none of your precious bills get left behind.
Banco Atlántida. Puerto Lempira. 898–7580. www.bancatlan.hn. Mon.–Fri. 8:30–4:30, Sat. 8:30–11:30.
- 80 Degrees: Fodor's Helps You Find Your Best Beach Vacation Spots
- Fodor's Go List 2014: Where we are going in 2014
- World Cup Fever: Start planning your trip to Brazil!
- Fodor's 100 Hotel Awards: Check out the winners of 2013
- Weekend Getaways: Fodor's Recommends the Best Weekend Escapes in the US
- Great American Vacation: Find Your Next U.S. Trip with Fodor's