Lagoons and canals are the streets and the Río Plátano is the highway in La Mosquitía. Residents push narrow pipante canoes with wooden poles for short trips, while sturdier motorized canoes travel longer distances. Direct, or expreso, boat services can be arranged, and collective boats offer a slower ride for a fraction of the cost. Prices have risen in the last year with the cost of petroleum, although some captains will still negotiate the fare.
Direct boats run round-trip from Palacios to Raista/Belén, and from Raista/Belén to Las Marías. Boats from Brus Laguna also head to Raista/Belén or Las Marías. One-way colectivo water taxis offer service between Palacios and Raista/Belén, and Brus Laguna to Río Plátano.
Free Fodor's Newsletter
Subscribe today for weekly travel inspiration, tips, and special offers.
Fodor's Trip Planning Ideas
- Weekend Getaways: Fodor's Recommends the Best Weekend Escapes in the US
- Great American Vacation: Find Your Next U.S. Trip with Fodor's
- 80 Degrees: Fodor's Helps You Find Your Best Beach Vacation Spots
- Go List: Fodor's Top 25 Places to Go in 2013
- Hotel Awards 2012: Fodor's 100 Top Hotels
- Best of Europe: Fodor's Picks the Best Places to Visit in Europe
- $79-$85 -- Riviera Maya 4-Star All-Inclusive Resort, 55% Off BookIt.com
- $110 & up -- San Diego: Gaslamp Quarter Hotel, Save $150 Expedia
- $479 & up -- Cancun All-Incl. Resort w/Air, Kids Stay Free CheapCaribbean.com
- $1099 -- Balcony on New Ship to Curacao MSC Cruises
- $7 & up -- Car Rentals across Mexico CarRentals.com