Fodor's Honduras & the Bay Islands
Sport fishing and bird watching draw a handful of travelers out to this isolated town on the northeast side of Laguna de Caratasca. Snapper, snook, and tarpon fish flood the lagoon surrounding this beachfront community. Colectivo boats leave for Kaukira from Puerto Lempira's main dock every day (except Sunday) around 10 "am." Boats charge L120 for the hour-long trip, and colectivo taxis in Kaukira should cost L20 a ride. Return trips, however, are less guaranteed. Before taking off, check at the docks if an afternoon service from Kaukira to Puerto Lempira is expected to run. If not, private expreso boats charge around L2,000 one way. Puerto Lempira native Ralston Haylock is a respected tour guide who can arrange trips to Kaukira and runs a basic lodge there for overnight visitors. His contact number 504/433-6081 is for a community telephone and is often hard to reach. Your best bet to find him is to ask around town.
- Address: La Mosquitía
- Location: Puerto Lempira
- 80 Degrees: Fodor's Helps You Find Your Best Beach Vacation Spots
- Fodor's Go List 2014: Where we are going in 2014
- World Cup Fever: Start planning your trip to Brazil!
- Fodor's 100 Hotel Awards: Check out the winners of 2013
- Weekend Getaways: Fodor's Recommends the Best Weekend Escapes in the US
- Great American Vacation: Find Your Next U.S. Trip with Fodor's
· News & Features
Techie travelers have embraced the fun, tech-driven, on-the-road adventure that is geocaching. ... Read more
This week, we covered top destinations for great family getaways—from Disney World to dinosaur spotting.... Read more
Go on location in Görlitz, Germany, to the transporting set of director Wes Anderson's film... Read more