A smattering of wooden houses with crops, cows, and chickens hugs the shoreline in this secluded Miskito community. Lush surroundings and surprisingly cozy rooms at the Raista Ecolodge (the region's relative exception to the bare-bones rule), plus a boat service to Las Marías, are attracting an increasing number of visitors whose ultimate destination is the Río Plátano reserve. The town also has a few easy-to-intermediate jungle excursions that add some adventure to the otherwise tranquil village of fishermen and lobster divers.
Raista at a Glance
Fodor's Trip Planning Ideas
- Fodor's 100 Hotel Awards: Check out the winners of 2013
- Weekend Getaways: Fodor's Recommends the Best Weekend Escapes in the US
- Great American Vacation: Find Your Next U.S. Trip with Fodor's
- 80 Degrees: Fodor's Helps You Find Your Best Beach Vacation Spots
- Best of Europe: Fodor's Picks the Best Places to Visit in Europe