Honduras's easternmost Garífuna village (east of here, it's primarily Moskito villages) has just one tourist attraction, but it's a pretty fantastic one: turtle conservation. For eight months each year, volunteers can join a homegrown conservation initiative to protect the eggs of endangered turtles on the western beaches of the lagoon. Although no formal accommodations exist, families will rent out extra beds in their homes and offer visitors a spot at the dinner table. Garífuna cultural groups also put on drumming and dance shows for groups who make a prior request.
Plaplaya at a Glance
Fodor's Trip Planning Ideas
- Fodor's 100 Hotel Awards: Check out the winners of 2013
- Weekend Getaways: Fodor's Recommends the Best Weekend Escapes in the US
- Great American Vacation: Find Your Next U.S. Trip with Fodor's
- 80 Degrees: Fodor's Helps You Find Your Best Beach Vacation Spots
- Best of Europe: Fodor's Picks the Best Places to Visit in Europe