Adventurous tales of pirates and bloodshed belie the ho-hum nature of this Miskito community along the northeastern edge of the Río Plátano reserve. Waters heavy with alligators might be the only sense of thrill left to a 4,100-person town once called Brewer's Lagoon, a tribute to the British privateer "Bloody Brewer," who sought refuge in the narrow canals. Today, life centers on fishing and cattle ranching in the one-road settlement. For many travelers, Brus Laguna is a godsend for (relatively) speedy access into La Mosquitía.
Three weekly Sosa flights can eliminate days of grueling land travel. Motorized cayuko canoes wait at the boat landing to transport newcomers immediately to Raista/Belén, Palacios, and Las Marías—although newly built cabanas in the adjacent Great Pine Savanna are a good reason to stick around for a bit and enjoy the breezy beaches. The town itself is a one-road municipality with a basic medical center, a police office, community telephones, and a few pulpería general stores. The most notable asset, however, is its top-notch fishing. Snapper, grouper, jack, tarpon, and bonito fish fill the lagoon, which stays salty in the dry period and floods with fresh river water in the rainy months.
Brus Laguna at a Glance
Elsewhere in La Mosquitía
Free Fodor's Newsletter
Subscribe today for weekly travel inspiration, tips, and special offers.
Fodor's Trip Planning Ideas
- Weekend Getaways: Fodor's Recommends the Best Weekend Escapes in the US
- Great American Vacation: Find Your Next U.S. Trip with Fodor's
- 80 Degrees: Fodor's Helps You Find Your Best Beach Vacation Spots
- Go List: Fodor's Top 25 Places to Go in 2013
- Hotel Awards 2012: Fodor's 100 Top Hotels
- Best of Europe: Fodor's Picks the Best Places to Visit in Europe
- $110 & up -- San Diego: Gaslamp Quarter Hotel, Save $150 Expedia
- $130-$138 -- 4-Star Cancun All-Inclusive Resort w/Credits Bookit.com
- $499 & up -- Cancun: All-Inclusive Beachfront Getaways w/Air Vacation Express
- $1099 -- Balcony on New Ship to Curacao MSC Cruises
- $7 & up -- Car Rentals across Mexico CarRentals.com