Getting Here and Around
Pailas head to Batalla from the municipal market in Tocoa every morning. The trucks take off around 7 am and usually stop for lunch at a cafeteria along the four-to-six-hour journey. Return trips leave Batalla at 6 am. Trip fare costs L500, although couples and groups can negotiate discounts or ride in the turbulent truck bed for L250.
Shared boats hover around the shoreline waiting to whisk truck travelers deeper into La Mosquitía. Colectivos charge L150 for the one-to-two-hour trip to Raista/Belén, with a stop in Palacios, while private expreso boats cost L800 per group round-trip.
Fodor's Trip Planning Ideas
- Fodor's 100 Hotel Awards: Check out the winners of 2013
- Weekend Getaways: Fodor's Recommends the Best Weekend Escapes in the US
- Great American Vacation: Find Your Next U.S. Trip with Fodor's
- 80 Degrees: Fodor's Helps You Find Your Best Beach Vacation Spots
- Best of Europe: Fodor's Picks the Best Places to Visit in Europe