- Places to Explore
- Travel Tips
Explorer Christopher Columbus first set foot on the American mainland here, and it's said that he thanked God for delivering him from the honduras (loosely translated, it means "deep waters"). That footprint paved the way for the establishment of Trujillo, the country's first capital. Others soon followed. British pirates staked out the Bahía de Trujillo and occasionally raided coastal towns to snag gold bound for Spain.
Trujillo at a Glance
- 80 Degrees: Fodor's Helps You Find Your Best Beach Vacation Spots
- Fodor's Go List 2014: Where we are going in 2014
- World Cup Fever: Start planning your trip to Brazil!
- Fodor's 100 Hotel Awards: Check out the winners of 2013
- Weekend Getaways: Fodor's Recommends the Best Weekend Escapes in the US
- Great American Vacation: Find Your Next U.S. Trip with Fodor's