- Places to Explore
- Travel Tips
Cash is king on the northern coast. Ironically, ATMs are not. In Omoa, they don't exist at all. It's a good idea to make withdrawals ahead of time in case you find that the nearest cash machine is miles away; gas stations and city centers are a good place to find them. Many machines offer to dispense lempiras or dollars, but they're only stocked with Honduran bills. Finer establishments accept credit cards, but the rest take either currency. Informal money changers that linger in bigger cities tend not to visit the coastal cities. Banks will change currency and cash traveler's checks at reasonable rates. Bank hours are generally 8 to 4 on weekdays and 8 to 11:30 on Saturday.
- 80 Degrees: Fodor's Helps You Find Your Best Beach Vacation Spots
- Fodor's Go List 2014: Where we are going in 2014
- World Cup Fever: Start planning your trip to Brazil!
- Fodor's 100 Hotel Awards: Check out the winners of 2013
- Weekend Getaways: Fodor's Recommends the Best Weekend Escapes in the US
- Great American Vacation: Find Your Next U.S. Trip with Fodor's