Health and Safety
- Places to Explore
- Travel Tips
Health and Safety
Three essentials go a long way when traveling the northern coast: sunscreen, bug repellent, and plenty of purified water. The strong heat and brutal midday sun make it likely that travelers of all skin tones will burn, so always keep a bottle of sunblock on hand. Rest in the shade periodically and hydrate constantly, as travelers might feel light-headed and dizzy after an extended time outdoors. Malaria is no longer a major concern in the coastal cities, but the mosquitoes, or zancudos, can still be a nuisance, especially after it rains.
The coast is fairly laid-back, so violent crime is rare. Petty theft, on the other hand, is somewhat common. Keep your wits about you and stow cash, cameras, and valuables in your front pocket. Backpacks are a common target, so don't forget about yours as you walk through crowds.
La Ceiba has some of the best hospitals in the country. There is no shortage of good clinics throughout the northern coast. Pharmacies are everywhere, so ask at your hotel which is the nearest.
Puerto Cortés 9859-2822.
Tela 448-0253 or 448-2079.
La Ceiba 441-6288, 441-0871, or 9884-3141.
Free Fodor's Newsletter
Subscribe today for weekly travel inspiration, tips, and special offers.
Fodor's Trip Planning Ideas
- Great American Vacation: Find Your Next U.S. Trip with Fodor's
- 80 Degrees: Fodor's Helps You Find Your Best Beach Vacation Spots
- Go List: Fodor's Top 25 Places to Go in 2013
- Hotel Awards 2012: Fodor's 100 Top Hotels
- Weekend Getaways: Fodor's Recommends the Best Weekend Escapes in the US
- Best of Europe: Fodor's Picks the Best Places to Visit in Europe
- $91-$97 -- Suite at 4-Diamond Cabo Family Resort, 50% Off BookIt.com
- $60-$96 -- Cancun All-Inclusive Water Park Resort, 60% Off BookIt.com
- $689 & up -- Mexico Beach Getaways on Sale, up to 70% Off CheapCaribbean.com
- $1099 -- Balcony on New Ship to Curacao MSC Cruises
- $4.39 & up -- Car Rentals across Mexico CarRentals.com