- Places to Explore
- Travel Tips
The Río Cangrejal is one of the top spots in Central America for white-water rafting, offering Class II, III, and IV rapids. The river also borders the Pico Bonito National Park, and new resorts and activities are springing up almost daily.
One of the original rafting lodges on the Cangrejal River, Omega Jungle Lodge has a top-quality staff of guides for rafting and kayaking trips, as well as horseback riding and jungle hiking. The lodge has operated since 1992, and has dorm-style accommodations or private cabins. The newest accommodations are second-floor suites with screened walls providing incredible views of the verdant hills, and bird-watching from your own room. There is a pool, and meals are served every day in the champa dining room. It's a lot like summer camp for adults, and all the services are the best in town. El Naranjo, south of La Ceiba, La Ceiba. 440-0334 or 9631-0295. www.omegatours.info.
Jungle River Rafting and Adventures offers half- and full-day rafting trips on the Río Cangrejal, as well as hiking expeditions up Pico Bonito. Av. La Republica between Calle 12 and 13, Barrio Solares Nuevo, La Ceiba. 440–1268 or 9802–6648. www.jungleriverlodge.com.
- 80 Degrees: Fodor's Helps You Find Your Best Beach Vacation Spots
- Fodor's Go List 2014: Where we are going in 2014
- World Cup Fever: Start planning your trip to Brazil!
- Fodor's 100 Hotel Awards: Check out the winners of 2013
- Weekend Getaways: Fodor's Recommends the Best Weekend Escapes in the US
- Great American Vacation: Find Your Next U.S. Trip with Fodor's