Guatemala has an international departure tax of $30—check your air ticket carefully as it's sometimes included in the price—and a domestic departure tax of Q5. You also have to pay a Q20 airport security fee.
Most Guatemalan hotels and some tourist restaurants charge an additional 10% tourist tax. There is a 10% V.A.T. on most consumer products, but it is already included in the display price. There is no tax refund scheme for visitors.
Free Fodor's Newsletter
Subscribe today for weekly travel inspiration, tips, and special offers.
Fodor's Trip Planning Ideas
- Great American Vacation: Find Your Next U.S. Trip with Fodor's
- 80 Degrees: Fodor's Helps You Find Your Best Beach Vacation Spots
- Go List: Fodor's Top 25 Places to Go in 2013
- Hotel Awards 2012: Fodor's 100 Top Hotels
- Weekend Getaways: Fodor's Recommends the Best Weekend Escapes in the US
- Best of Europe: Fodor's Picks the Best Places to Visit in Europe
- Guatemala Experience IExplore
- Colonial Cities & Mayan Civilizations IExplore
- Guatemala, Honduras & Belize — $4,995 IExplore
- Colonial Cities & Mayan Civilizations — $4,695 IExplore