There's a daily water-taxi service at 9 am from Punta Gorda, Belize, to Puerto Barrios, Guatemala. The trip takes about 1½ hours and returns at 2 pm; tickets cost $18 each way. A similar service operates between Livingston and Punta Gorda on Tuesday and Friday; it's a 50-minute trip. Requena's Charter Service is a reputable Belize-based outfit. Other operators have booths on the waterfronts of all three towns: you turn up and buy a ticket on the spot.
Note that life jackets are typically not provided on boats and that the seas can be rough. Postpone your trip if the weather looks bad, and don't be shy about waiting for another boat if the one offered looks unseaworthy or overcrowded.
Requena's Charter Service. 501/722-2070 in Punta Gorda, Belize. www.belizenet.com/requena.
Free Fodor's Newsletter
Subscribe today for weekly travel inspiration, tips, and special offers.
Fodor's Trip Planning Ideas
- Great American Vacation: Find Your Next U.S. Trip with Fodor's
- 80 Degrees: Fodor's Helps You Find Your Best Beach Vacation Spots
- Go List: Fodor's Top 25 Places to Go in 2013
- Hotel Awards 2012: Fodor's 100 Top Hotels
- Weekend Getaways: Fodor's Recommends the Best Weekend Escapes in the US
- Best of Europe: Fodor's Picks the Best Places to Visit in Europe
- Guatemala Experience IExplore
- Colonial Cities & Mayan Civilizations IExplore
- Guatemala, Honduras & Belize — $4,995 IExplore
- Colonial Cities & Mayan Civilizations — $4,695 IExplore