When to Go
When to Go
The year here divides into rainy (May-October) and dry (November-May) seasons. Unlike those in most of the rest of Guatemala, hotels here do observe high and low seasons corresponding to the weather, and set rates accordingly. Beach lodgings also raise rates on weekends. Even though comparatively few travelers come here, the Pacific lowlands fit nicely into a visit to points just north. A good highway connects the eastern coast at Puerto Quetzal with Guatemala City and Antigua, putting you here in about 90 minutes, and Retalhuleu is a one-hour drive south (and downhill all the way) from Quetzaltenango in the highlands.
- 80 Degrees: Fodor's Helps You Find Your Best Beach Vacation Spots
- Fodor's Go List 2014: Where we are going in 2014
- World Cup Fever: Start planning your trip to Brazil!
- Fodor's 100 Hotel Awards: Check out the winners of 2013
- Weekend Getaways: Fodor's Recommends the Best Weekend Escapes in the US
- Great American Vacation: Find Your Next U.S. Trip with Fodor's