June through October is the season for daylong rafting excursions to the beginners' Río Coyolate (Class II–III), the slightly more difficult Río Nahualate (Class III), and the Río Naranjo (Class III–IV) for experienced rafters only. All are within striking distance of Santa Lucía Cotzumalguapa and Retalhuleu, but all excursions leave from Guatemala City. Also departing from the capital are one-day excursions on the Río Los Esclavos (Class III–IV) near Escuintla.
Maya Expeditions offers trips that range from easy to challenging.The town sits just off Highway CA-2. 15 Calle A 14-07, Zona 1. 2363-4955. www.mayaexpeditions.com.
Fodor's Trip Planning Ideas
- Fodor's 100 Hotel Awards: Check out the winners of 2013
- Weekend Getaways: Fodor's Recommends the Best Weekend Escapes in the US
- Great American Vacation: Find Your Next U.S. Trip with Fodor's
- 80 Degrees: Fodor's Helps You Find Your Best Beach Vacation Spots
- Best of Europe: Fodor's Picks the Best Places to Visit in Europe