Getting Here and Around
Transportes Esmeralda operates service between Guatemala's main bus terminal in Zona 4 and Puerto San José every half-hour throughout the day. Travel time is about two hours.
The four-lane Highway CA–9 leads due south from Guatemala City via Escuintla and ends at the ocean. Take the "Puerto San José" exit at the large interchange on the coast.
Fodor's Trip Planning Ideas
- Fodor's 100 Hotel Awards: Check out the winners of 2013
- Weekend Getaways: Fodor's Recommends the Best Weekend Escapes in the US
- Great American Vacation: Find Your Next U.S. Trip with Fodor's
- 80 Degrees: Fodor's Helps You Find Your Best Beach Vacation Spots
- Best of Europe: Fodor's Picks the Best Places to Visit in Europe