Guatemala's southern coast is one of the best bill-fishing spots in the world, especially during fall and spring. Several world records have been recorded here. The targets are sailfish that can reach up to 150 pounds, but enormous yellow tuna and blue marlin are often caught in the outer waters. November through April is prime season here, but anglers say you're likely to reel something in all year long. (Peak season for yellow-fin tuna and dorado are the North American summer months.)
Sailfish Bay Lodge is one of the best companies in the area, offering a variety of excursions from Iztapa, near Puerto San José. Only multiday packages are offered, beginning at $2,084 per person, double occupancy in the lodge's two-story bungalows, including meals, airport transfers, chartered boats, and last-night accommodation in Guatemala City. 2426–3909 in Guatemala City; 800/638–7405 in U.S. www.sailfishbaylodge.com.
Fodor's Trip Planning Ideas
- Fodor's 100 Hotel Awards: Check out the winners of 2013
- Weekend Getaways: Fodor's Recommends the Best Weekend Escapes in the US
- Great American Vacation: Find Your Next U.S. Trip with Fodor's
- 80 Degrees: Fodor's Helps You Find Your Best Beach Vacation Spots
- Best of Europe: Fodor's Picks the Best Places to Visit in Europe