- Places to Explore
- Travel Tips
- Fodor's Choice
- Spanish Phrases
At the base of an extinct volcano, the radiant village of Zunil is one of the prettiest in the highlands. Mud and adobe houses are clustered around the whitewashed church that marks the center of town. On the outskirts of the village you'll find the local cemetery, which is lined with tombstones painted in soft shades of pink and blue.
Zunil is surrounded by the most fertile land in the valley, so it's no surprise most people make their living off the land. The best day to visit is Monday, when women wearing vivid purple shawls hawk fruits and vegetables grown in their own gardens.
Elsewhere in The Highlands
- Quetzaltenango (Xelajú)
- San Andrés Xecul
- San Antonio Palopó
- San Francisco El Alto
- 80 Degrees: Fodor's Helps You Find Your Best Beach Vacation Spots
- Fodor's Go List 2014: Where we are going in 2014
- World Cup Fever: Start planning your trip to Brazil!
- Fodor's 100 Hotel Awards: Check out the winners of 2013
- Weekend Getaways: Fodor's Recommends the Best Weekend Escapes in the US
- Great American Vacation: Find Your Next U.S. Trip with Fodor's