- Places to Explore
- Travel Tips
- Fodor's Choice
- Spanish Phrases
A first-timer's visit to the highlands should include three or four days at Lake Atitlán, with a one-day visit to the market in Chichicastenango, which needs to be a Thursday or Sunday. Other destinations can add days or weeks onto that time. A visit here combines nicely with Antigua or Guatemala City (two or three hours from Lake Atitlán, respectively), or the Pacific lowlands (an hour from the lake or Quetzaltenango).
Fodor's Trip Planning Ideas
- Fodor's Go List 2014: Where we are going in 2014
- World Cup Fever: Start planning your trip to Brazil!
- Fodor's 100 Hotel Awards: Check out the winners of 2013
- Weekend Getaways: Fodor's Recommends the Best Weekend Escapes in the US
- Great American Vacation: Find Your Next U.S. Trip with Fodor's
- 80 Degrees: Fodor's Helps You Find Your Best Beach Vacation Spots
- Best of Europe: Fodor's Picks the Best Places to Visit in Europe