When to Go
- Places to Explore
- Travel Tips
- Fodor's Choice
- Spanish Phrases
When to Go
The highlands have distinct rainy (May-October) and dry (November-April) seasons, the latter of which offers the best weather conditions for outdoor-market shopping, lake boating, and volcano hiking. Travel during the rainy season is rarely a hardship; it usually rains just for a couple of hours in the afternoon. Evenings get chilly enough for a jacket, and can get downright cold the farther west you travel. In December and January, temperatures drop to near freezing at higher elevations. That said, the highlands have no weather-based high and low seasons per se. The region does see a greater number of visitors in July and August, and during Christmas and Holy Week.
- 80 Degrees: Fodor's Helps You Find Your Best Beach Vacation Spots
- Fodor's Go List 2014: Where we are going in 2014
- World Cup Fever: Start planning your trip to Brazil!
- Fodor's 100 Hotel Awards: Check out the winners of 2013
- Weekend Getaways: Fodor's Recommends the Best Weekend Escapes in the US
- Great American Vacation: Find Your Next U.S. Trip with Fodor's