- Places to Explore
- Travel Tips
- Fodor's Choice
- Spanish Phrases
The Atitlán area's "metropolis" of Sololá is the region's administrative capital. Sololá lies a steep, 20-minute climb up from Panajachel and offers stunning mountainside views of the lake. You'll find one of Guatemala's largest markets here. Something goes on, on a smaller scale, every weekday, but Friday is the principal market day, with produce and a decent selection of souvenirs for sale. Sololá remains one of the few places in the highlands where men wear traditional dress, in particular, gold-embroidered jackets distinctive to the town. Sololá's symbol of pride is its 1914 clock tower, still ticking despite damage in Guatemala's 1976 earthquake.
Elsewhere in The Highlands
- Quetzaltenango (Xelajú)
- San Andrés Xecul
- San Antonio Palopó
- San Francisco El Alto
- 80 Degrees: Fodor's Helps You Find Your Best Beach Vacation Spots
- Fodor's Go List 2014: Where we are going in 2014
- World Cup Fever: Start planning your trip to Brazil!
- Fodor's 100 Hotel Awards: Check out the winners of 2013
- Weekend Getaways: Fodor's Recommends the Best Weekend Escapes in the US
- Great American Vacation: Find Your Next U.S. Trip with Fodor's