- Places to Explore
- Travel Tips
- Fodor's Choice
- Spanish Phrases
Santa Cruz La Laguna
Your first view of Santa Cruz La Laguna is the hubbub of a couple of hotels and a few vendors who hang around the dock. (A boat is realistically the only way to get here.) It's a steep walk up to the hillside village itself, but the hale and hearty are rewarded with a stroll through a Tzutuhil community that most travelers overlook. The square adobe houses are positioned precariously on the slopes, looking as if they might be washed away by the next heavy rain. A highlight of this little village is a squat adobe church, the Iglesia de Santa Cruz, in the main plaza. Make sure to look inside at where the walls are lined with carved wooden saints.
Lodgings here can be difficult to contact by phone at times. Keep trying.
Santa Cruz La Laguna at a Glance
Sports and Outdoors
Elsewhere in The Highlands
- Quetzaltenango (Xelajú)
- San Andrés Xecul
- San Antonio Palopó
- San Francisco El Alto
- 80 Degrees: Fodor's Helps You Find Your Best Beach Vacation Spots
- Fodor's Go List 2014: Where we are going in 2014
- World Cup Fever: Start planning your trip to Brazil!
- Fodor's 100 Hotel Awards: Check out the winners of 2013
- Weekend Getaways: Fodor's Recommends the Best Weekend Escapes in the US
- Great American Vacation: Find Your Next U.S. Trip with Fodor's