The Highlands Restaurants
- Places to Explore
- Travel Tips
- Fodor's Choice
- Spanish Phrases
The Highlands Restaurant Reviews
You'll find a few international restaurants in Quetzaltenango (by virtue of its being a large city) and in Panajachel (due to its concentration of tourists), but local cuisine in the highlands echoes the land itself: hearty, filling, and substantial. A few signature highland dishes appear on the menus of most local restaurants. Chicken pepián (a fricassee in pumpkin and sesame sauce), chile relleno (a stuffed bell pepper), and arroz con pollo (chicken with rice) all make use of abundant regional ingredients. Accompanying them might be frijoles (black beans, usually mashed up with a bit of onion and tomato sauce), corn tortillas, and a caramel-custard flan for dessert. Lunch is the big meal of the day in small-town eateries. Lighter fare is served for dinner in this early-to-bed, early-to-rise region.
Browse The Highlands Restaurants
- 80 Degrees: Fodor's Helps You Find Your Best Beach Vacation Spots
- Fodor's Go List 2014: Where we are going in 2014
- World Cup Fever: Start planning your trip to Brazil!
- Fodor's 100 Hotel Awards: Check out the winners of 2013
- Weekend Getaways: Fodor's Recommends the Best Weekend Escapes in the US
- Great American Vacation: Find Your Next U.S. Trip with Fodor's