- Places to Explore
- Travel Tips
- Fodor's Choice
- Spanish Phrases
Getting Here and Around
The Pan-American Highway (CA-1) reaches a crossroads called Los Encuentros, from where you head north to Chichicastenango and beyond.
Veloz Quichelense has public chicken buses that leave Guatemala City on the half hour between 5 am and 6 pm and return on a similar schedule. Chichi has no central terminal; buses congregate near the corner of 5 Avenida and 5 Calle.
Every tour operator in Guatemala City, Antigua, Panajachel, and Quetzaltenango can arrange round-trip minivan transportation to Chichi on Thursday and Sunday market days. Options are fewer other days of the week. Chichicastenango's only tour company, Chichi Turkaj-Tours, is wellregarded, and arranges transportation around the region.
Free Fodor's Newsletter
Subscribe today for weekly travel inspiration, tips, and special offers.
Fodor's Trip Planning Ideas
- Weekend Getaways: Fodor's Recommends the Best Weekend Escapes in the US
- Great American Vacation: Find Your Next U.S. Trip with Fodor's
- 80 Degrees: Fodor's Helps You Find Your Best Beach Vacation Spots
- Go List: Fodor's Top 25 Places to Go in 2013
- Hotel Awards 2012: Fodor's 100 Top Hotels
- Best of Europe: Fodor's Picks the Best Places to Visit in Europe
- Guatemala Experience IExplore
- Colonial Cities & Mayan Civilizations IExplore
- Guatemala, Honduras & Belize — $4,995 IExplore
- Colonial Cities & Mayan Civilizations — $4,695 IExplore