Ferries make the 90-minute trip between Puerto Barrios and Livingston twice daily. Smaller lanchas that leave on an as-needed basis do the same run in about 30 minutes. Drivers belong to a Livingston-based cooperative called Asotransali. There is also boat service for the two-hour trip from Livingston to Río Dulce for approximately Q100. Requena's Charter Service travels the route between Punta Gorda, Belize, and Puerto Barrios and Livingston. Travel time is 90 minutes to Livingston, and another 90 minutes to Puerto Barrios. Tickets cost $18, payable in U.S. currency.
Asotransali. Municipal docks, Livingston, 18002. 7947-0870.
Requena's Charter Service. 501/722-2070 in Punta Gorda, Belize. www.belizenet.com/requena.
- 80 Degrees: Fodor's Helps You Find Your Best Beach Vacation Spots
- Fodor's Go List 2014: Where we are going in 2014
- Fodor's 100 Hotel Awards: Check out the winners of 2013
- Weekend Getaways: Fodor's Recommends the Best Weekend Escapes in the US
- Great American Vacation: Find Your Next U.S. Trip with Fodor's