The Atlantic Lowlands Feature
- Places to Explore
- Travel Tips
- Fodor's Choice
- Spanish Phrases
Top Reasons to Go
Cruise through a canyon: A boat trip up or down the canyoned Río Dulce is Guatemala's signature eco-excursion.
Groove to the punta: Toto, I don't think we're in the highlands anymore. The region's most popular music has its roots in far-away Africa.
Ponder the intricacies of the Maya: Quiriguá, in Guatemala, and Copán, just over the Honduran border, are two of the Mayan world's best preserved ruins complexes. The minutiae of their stelae are still intact to this day.
Soak those aching muscles: The hot springs at various points along the Río Dulce make perfect places for a dip, and all the boat excursions make a stop.
Take a walk on the wild side: Some of the country's best birding and wildlife observation strings along the Río Dulce and Lago Izabal.
- 80 Degrees: Fodor's Helps You Find Your Best Beach Vacation Spots
- Fodor's Go List 2014: Where we are going in 2014
- World Cup Fever: Start planning your trip to Brazil!
- Fodor's 100 Hotel Awards: Check out the winners of 2013
- Weekend Getaways: Fodor's Recommends the Best Weekend Escapes in the US
- Great American Vacation: Find Your Next U.S. Trip with Fodor's