- Cruise through a canyon A boat trip up or down the canyoned Río Dulce is Guatemala's signature eco-excursion.
- Groove to the punta Toto, I don't think we're in the highlands anymore. The region's most popular music has its roots in far-away Africa.
- Ponder the intricacies of the Maya Quiriguá, in Guatemala, and Copán, just over the Honduran border, are two of the Mayan world's best preserved ruins complexes. The minutiae of their stelae are still intact to this day.
- Soak those aching muscles The hot springs at various points along the Río Dulce make perfect places for a dip, and all the boat excursions make a stop.
- Take a walk on the wild side Some of the country's best birding and wildlife observation strings along the Río Dulce and Lago Izabal.
Need trip ideas? Check out our curated collections of destinations around the globe.More