- Places to Explore
- Travel Tips
- Fodor's Choice
- Spanish Phrases
Public buses based in Cobán make frequent runs to Las Verapaces' towns. Transportes Monja Blanca has regular service between Guatemala City and Cobán, passing the Biotopo del Quetzal (the driver will let you off if you ask). Relying on public transportation makes it difficult to visit some of the farther-flung attractions such as Semuc Champey or the caves at Lanquín, but there are plenty of private shuttle services and tour operators that will take you to these sites.
Transportes Monja Blanca. 7952-1536; 7951-1793 in Cobán; 2238-1409 in Guatemala City.
Free Fodor's Newsletter
Subscribe today for weekly travel inspiration, tips, and special offers.
Fodor's Trip Planning Ideas
- Weekend Getaways: Fodor's Recommends the Best Weekend Escapes in the US
- Great American Vacation: Find Your Next U.S. Trip with Fodor's
- 80 Degrees: Fodor's Helps You Find Your Best Beach Vacation Spots
- Go List: Fodor's Top 25 Places to Go in 2013
- Hotel Awards 2012: Fodor's 100 Top Hotels
- Best of Europe: Fodor's Picks the Best Places to Visit in Europe
- Guatemala Experience IExplore
- Colonial Cities & Mayan Civilizations IExplore
- Guatemala, Honduras & Belize — $4,995 IExplore
- Colonial Cities & Mayan Civilizations — $4,695 IExplore