Las Verapaces Feature
- Places to Explore
- Travel Tips
- Fodor's Choice
- Spanish Phrases
Top Reasons to Go
Spot the elusive quetzal: Spend the night at the Biotopo del Quetzal, Guatemala's only preserve dedicated to protecting its national symbol, then rise at dawn to hunt for this reclusive bird.
Swim in a limpid emerald pool: Hike the lush trails at Semuc Champey, then cool off in the natural water park that has been called the most beautiful spot in Guatemala.
Go underground: Tour Las Grutas de Lanquín, or hire a guide and explore some of the region's many other limestone caves.
Scream down a white-water river: Sign onto an expedition down the Río Cahabón, whose rapids range from Class III to Class V.
Go native: Las Verapaces is the home of traditional dishes you see on menus all over Guatemala, so try the famous kaq'ik and other native fare in the place where they were born.
Fodor's Trip Planning Ideas
- Fodor's 100 Hotel Awards: Check out the winners of 2013
- Weekend Getaways: Fodor's Recommends the Best Weekend Escapes in the US
- Great American Vacation: Find Your Next U.S. Trip with Fodor's
- 80 Degrees: Fodor's Helps You Find Your Best Beach Vacation Spots
- Best of Europe: Fodor's Picks the Best Places to Visit in Europe