- Spot the elusive quetzal Spend the night at the Biotopo del Quetzal, Guatemala's only preserve dedicated to protecting its national symbol, then rise at dawn to hunt for this reclusive bird.
- Swim in a limpid emerald pool Hike the lush trails at Semuc Champey, then cool off in the natural water park that has been called the most beautiful spot in Guatemala.
- Go underground Tour Las Grutas de Lanquín, or hire a guide and explore some of the region's many other limestone caves.
- Scream down a white-water river Sign onto an expedition down the Río Cahabón, whose rapids range from Class III to Class V.
- Go native Las Verapaces is the home of traditional dishes you see on menus all over Guatemala, so try the famous kaq'ik and other native fare in the place where they were born.
GREAT AMERICAN VACATION
Take our short photo quiz to reveal your ideal trip in the U.S.More