- Places to Explore
- Travel Tips
- Fodor's Choice
- Spanish Phrases
The New City
Whereas the Old City is the real Guatemala, the modern look and fast pace of the New City's Zonas 9 and 10 are reminiscent of upscale districts in other Latin American capitals. This is especially the case in Zona Viva, the posh center of Zona 10, where dozens of smart restaurants, bars, and clubs stay open long after the rest of the city goes to bed. During the day the New City's museums and cultural sites draw an equally affluent and savvy crowd.
Avenida La Reforma splits the New City down the middle, with Zona 9 to the west and Zona 10 to the east. To save confusion, always check which zone your destination is in before heading there.
The New City at a Glance
Elsewhere in Guatemala City
Free Fodor's Newsletter
Subscribe today for weekly travel inspiration, tips, and special offers.
Fodor's Trip Planning Ideas
- Weekend Getaways: Fodor's Recommends the Best Weekend Escapes in the US
- Great American Vacation: Find Your Next U.S. Trip with Fodor's
- 80 Degrees: Fodor's Helps You Find Your Best Beach Vacation Spots
- Go List: Fodor's Top 25 Places to Go in 2013
- Hotel Awards 2012: Fodor's 100 Top Hotels
- Best of Europe: Fodor's Picks the Best Places to Visit in Europe
- Guatemala Experience IExplore
- Colonial Cities & Mayan Civilizations IExplore
- Guatemala, Honduras & Belize — $4,995 IExplore
- Colonial Cities & Mayan Civilizations — $4,695 IExplore