- Places to Explore
- Travel Tips
- Fodor's Choice
- Spanish Phrases
The New City
Whereas the Old City is the real Guatemala, the modern look and fast pace of the New City's Zonas 9 and 10 are reminiscent of upscale districts in other Latin American capitals. This is especially the case in Zona Viva, the posh center of Zona 10, where dozens of smart restaurants, bars, and clubs stay open long after the rest of the city goes to bed. During the day the New City's museums and cultural sites draw an equally affluent and savvy crowd.
Avenida La Reforma splits the New City down the middle, with Zona 9 to the west and Zona 10 to the east. To save confusion, always check which zone your destination is in before heading there.
The New City at a Glance
Elsewhere in Guatemala City
Fodor's Trip Planning Ideas
- Fodor's 100 Hotel Awards: Check out the winners of 2013
- Weekend Getaways: Fodor's Recommends the Best Weekend Escapes in the US
- Great American Vacation: Find Your Next U.S. Trip with Fodor's
- 80 Degrees: Fodor's Helps You Find Your Best Beach Vacation Spots
- Best of Europe: Fodor's Picks the Best Places to Visit in Europe