- Places to Explore
- Travel Tips
- Fodor's Choice
- Spanish Phrases
Palacio Nacional de la Cultura
Palacio Nacional de la Cultura Review
The grandiose National Palace was built between 1937 and 1943 to satisfy the monumental ego of President Jorge Ubico Castañeda. It once held the offices of the president and his ministers, but now many of its 320 rooms house a collection of paintings and sculptures by well-known Guatemalan artists from the colonial period to the present. Look for Alfredo Gálvez Suárez's murals illustrating the history of the city above the entry. The palace's ornate stairways and stained-glass windows are a pleasant contrast to the gritty city outside its walls.You must visit with a guide, who will take you on a 30-minute highlights tour, which leaves every half hour throughout the day. Your visit includes a stop at the presidential balcony off the banquet room. If the palace is a must on your itinerary, call ahead to confirm that it is open; the building occasionally closes for presidential functions.
- Address: 6 Calle and 7 Av., Zona 1 Guatemala City, 01001
- Phone: 2230–1020
- Cost: Q40
- Hours: Weekdays 9–4:30.
- Location: The Old City
Fodor's Trip Planning Ideas
- Fodor's Go List 2014: Where we are going in 2014
- World Cup Fever: Start planning your trip to Brazil!
- Fodor's 100 Hotel Awards: Check out the winners of 2013
- Weekend Getaways: Fodor's Recommends the Best Weekend Escapes in the US
- Great American Vacation: Find Your Next U.S. Trip with Fodor's
- 80 Degrees: Fodor's Helps You Find Your Best Beach Vacation Spots
- Best of Europe: Fodor's Picks the Best Places to Visit in Europe
My fiancee and I are planning our honeymoon. Read more
2 weeks in Belize was not enough to explore the entire country, but we got a taste of it and we know we will go back for more!
I will not go into a lot of details, but I got a lot of help from this forum Read more
I am heading to Costa Rica, Guatemala & Belize this winter. Read more
· News & Features
While an infinity-edge pool that glints under the sun is fabulous, nothing beats a private pool you need ... Read more
After reading these five reasons to actually stop in Guatemala (think roasting marshmallows on a volcano,... Read more
Reading trip reports from other travelers can be an invaluable resource for planning your next vacation.... Read more