- Places to Explore
- Travel Tips
- Fodor's Choice
- Spanish Phrases
ARCAS, which returns illegally captured animals to the wild, is a great resource on the flora and fauna of El Petén. The staff at INGUAT, Guatemala's tourism promotion agency, is courteous, professional, and knowledgeable. INGUAT has two offices in El Petén, one in Flores at the central plaza and one at Aeropuerto Internacional Santa Elena. CINCAP (Centro de Información sobre de Naturaleza, Cultura y Artesanías), on the central plaza in Flores, also has tourism information and historical exhibits on the Petén.
ARCAS. ARCAS is a non-profit Guatemalan NGO formed in 1989 to rehabilitate injured wildlife. Today, its rescue center near Flores is one of the largest in the world, annually helping up to 600 wild animals, of up to 40 different species. Barrio La Ermita, 6 mi (10 km) east of Santa Elena in San Benito, San Benito. 502/5208–0968 Dr. Fernando Martinez (Rescue Center Director). www.arcasguatemala.com.
INGUAT. The official Guatemala tourism office has an information desk at the Flores airport (Mundo Maya International Airport). INGUAT also has a desk near the ticket office at Tikal park. Mundo Maya International Airport, Santa Elena. 502/7926–0533. www.visitguatemala.com.
- 80 Degrees: Fodor's Helps You Find Your Best Beach Vacation Spots
- Fodor's Go List 2014: Where we are going in 2014
- World Cup Fever: Start planning your trip to Brazil!
- Fodor's 100 Hotel Awards: Check out the winners of 2013
- Weekend Getaways: Fodor's Recommends the Best Weekend Escapes in the US
- Great American Vacation: Find Your Next U.S. Trip with Fodor's