- Places to Explore
- Travel Tips
- Fodor's Choice
- Spanish Phrases
Main roads in El Petén, such as between Flores/Santa Elena and Tikal, are paved and in very good shape. Secondary roads, however, often are in poor repair and not very well marked. Some roads are impassable during the rainy season, so check with the tourist office before heading out on seldom traveled roads, such as those to the more remote ruins surrounding Tikal.
If you're not booked on a tour, the best way to get around El Petén is by renting a four-wheel-drive vehicle. The major rental agencies, including Budget and Hertz, have offices at Aeropuerto Internacional Santa Elena. Koka, a local company, also rents vehicles from an office in the airport, as does Tabarini, which usually has a good selection. Prices start at around US$30 a day, or US$50 a day for an SUV. You need a valid driver's license from your own country to drive in Guatemala.
Budget. Aeropuerto Internacional Santa Elena. 7950-0741.
Hertz. Aeropuerto Internacional Santa Elena. 7950-0204.
Koka. Aeropuerto Internacional Santa Elena. 7926-1233.
Tabarini. Aeropuerto Internacional Santa Elena. 7926-0253 or 7926-0277.
Free Fodor's Newsletter
Subscribe today for weekly travel inspiration, tips, and special offers.
Fodor's Trip Planning Ideas
- Great American Vacation: Find Your Next U.S. Trip with Fodor's
- 80 Degrees: Fodor's Helps You Find Your Best Beach Vacation Spots
- Go List: Fodor's Top 25 Places to Go in 2013
- Hotel Awards 2012: Fodor's 100 Top Hotels
- Weekend Getaways: Fodor's Recommends the Best Weekend Escapes in the US
- Best of Europe: Fodor's Picks the Best Places to Visit in Europe
- Guatemala Experience IExplore
- Colonial Cities & Mayan Civilizations IExplore
- Guatemala, Honduras & Belize — $4,995 IExplore
- Colonial Cities & Mayan Civilizations — $4,695 IExplore