- Places to Explore
- Travel Tips
- Fodor's Choice
- Spanish Phrases
Linea Dorada and Autobuses del Norte (ADN) offer direct bus service between Guatemala City and Santa Elena and Flores. The 9-hour trip on air-conditioned buses with comfortable reclining seats, TVs, and bathrooms costs around Q180 one-way (US$23) or Q350 (US$45) round-trip. Call at least one day ahead for reservations. Inexpensive local service is available, but those buses stop in every village along the way, which adds hours to the trip.
In Santa Elena the San Juan Hotel serves as the local bus terminal. Here you can catch a bus operated by San Juan Travel that makes the 1 1/2 hour, 42-mi (70-km) trip on a good paved road to Tikal at 6, 8, 9, and 10 am and return trips at 2, 4, 5 and 6 pm. Service may be reduced during slow periods. They cost around Q30 one way or Q60 round-trip per person. Local buses serving other destinations like Sayaxché depart from the market in Santa Elena. They are inexpensive but very slow.
The 42-mi (70-km) paved route between Flores-Santa Elena and Tikal is served by scheduled minibus shuttles, operated by San Juan Travel and other companies. They cost around Q30 one-way or Q60 round-trip per person. The trip takes about 1½ hours.
Autobuses del Norte. E Bus Terminal, 4a Calle, Santa Elena. 7924-8131.
Linea Dorada. Calle 4a, Santa Elena. 7926-0528. Calle de la Playa, Flores. 2232-9658.
San Juan Travel. 2 Calle, Santa Elena. 7926-0042.
Free Fodor's Newsletter
Subscribe today for weekly travel inspiration, tips, and special offers.
Fodor's Trip Planning Ideas
- Weekend Getaways: Fodor's Recommends the Best Weekend Escapes in the US
- Great American Vacation: Find Your Next U.S. Trip with Fodor's
- 80 Degrees: Fodor's Helps You Find Your Best Beach Vacation Spots
- Go List: Fodor's Top 25 Places to Go in 2013
- Hotel Awards 2012: Fodor's 100 Top Hotels
- Best of Europe: Fodor's Picks the Best Places to Visit in Europe
- Guatemala Experience IExplore
- Colonial Cities & Mayan Civilizations IExplore
- Guatemala, Honduras & Belize — $4,995 IExplore
- Colonial Cities & Mayan Civilizations — $4,695 IExplore