- Places to Explore
- Travel Tips
- Fodor's Choice
- Spanish Phrases
The lowland Río de la Pasión flows into the Usumacinta, which winds for countless miles through the rain forest. Both rivers were important Mayan trade routes and thus pass numerous archaeological sites. Local agencies book expeditions to the sites that can last from a day to more than a week. Along the way you can catch a glimpse of the area's many animal inhabitants, including turtles, crocodiles, and a vast array of birds.
A day trip to one of the ruins costs Q300 to Q500, depending on the number of passengers. The rate is not set in stone, so feel free to bargain.
A reputable company in Sayaxché is Viajes Don Pedro. Sayaxché. 7928-6109.
Free Fodor's Newsletter
Subscribe today for weekly travel inspiration, tips, and special offers.
Fodor's Trip Planning Ideas
- Weekend Getaways: Fodor's Recommends the Best Weekend Escapes in the US
- Great American Vacation: Find Your Next U.S. Trip with Fodor's
- 80 Degrees: Fodor's Helps You Find Your Best Beach Vacation Spots
- Go List: Fodor's Top 25 Places to Go in 2013
- Hotel Awards 2012: Fodor's 100 Top Hotels
- Best of Europe: Fodor's Picks the Best Places to Visit in Europe
- Guatemala Experience IExplore
- Colonial Cities & Mayan Civilizations IExplore
- Guatemala, Honduras & Belize — $4,995 IExplore
- Colonial Cities & Mayan Civilizations — $4,695 IExplore