- Places to Explore
- Travel Tips
- Fodor's Choice
- Spanish Phrases
The lowland Río de la Pasión flows into the Usumacinta, which winds for countless miles through the rain forest. Both rivers were important Mayan trade routes and thus pass numerous archaeological sites. Local agencies book expeditions to the sites that can last from a day to more than a week. Along the way you can catch a glimpse of the area's many animal inhabitants, including turtles, crocodiles, and a vast array of birds.
A day trip to one of the ruins costs Q300 to Q500, depending on the number of passengers. The rate is not set in stone, so feel free to bargain.
Viajes Don Pedro. A reputable tour company in Sayaxché is Viajes Don Pedro. Sayaxché. 502/7928–6109.
- 80 Degrees: Fodor's Helps You Find Your Best Beach Vacation Spots
- Fodor's Go List 2014: Where we are going in 2014
- World Cup Fever: Start planning your trip to Brazil!
- Fodor's 100 Hotel Awards: Check out the winners of 2013
- Weekend Getaways: Fodor's Recommends the Best Weekend Escapes in the US
- Great American Vacation: Find Your Next U.S. Trip with Fodor's