- Places to Explore
- Travel Tips
- Fodor's Choice
- Spanish Phrases
Camino Real Tikal
At a Glance
- Largest international-style hotel in the Petén
- beautiful setting
- Somewhat remote
- rooms somewhat tired and dated
- upgrading and renovations needed
- lots of steps may pose problem for mobility-impaired guests
Check Rates from our Partners
Camino Real Tikal Review
To experience the natural beauty of the jungles surrounding Lago Petén Itzá without sacrificing international-style hotel creature comforts, you could head to the Camino Real Tikal. It's possible to spend several days at this 72-room hotel between El Remate and the village of Jobompiche without exhausting the possibilities—kayaking, boating, hiking in a private reserve, swimming in the pool, lounging in the lakeside hammocks, and experiencing a traditional Mayan sauna. Tikal park is about 45 minutes away by car. A dozen three-story thatch-roof villas set high on the hillside hold the rooms, which have porches with views of the sparkling lake. At this writng there are rumors are that the Camino Real may build additional rooms, perhaps doubling the size of the hotel and renovating what's there now, which is much-needed.
- Address: 3 mi (5 km) west of El Remate, Lote 77, Parcelamiento Tayasal, San José, 17002
- Phone: 502/7926–0204; 502/2410–5299 reservations
- Website: www.caminorealtikal.com.gt
- Location: North Shore, Lake Petén Itzá
- 72 rooms.
- Rate includes breakfast.
- Credit cards accepted.
- 80 Degrees: Fodor's Helps You Find Your Best Beach Vacation Spots
- Fodor's Go List 2014: Where we are going in 2014
- World Cup Fever: Start planning your trip to Brazil!
- Fodor's 100 Hotel Awards: Check out the winners of 2013
- Weekend Getaways: Fodor's Recommends the Best Weekend Escapes in the US
- Great American Vacation: Find Your Next U.S. Trip with Fodor's
My fiancee and I are planning our honeymoon. Read more
Hi, all -
A summer Guatemala visit was out for me this year due to happy, busy plans to reconnect with host families in Scotland (mine) and The Netherlands (son Isaac's) and a focus week in Cambridge fo Read more
Hi, I'm 30 years old and looking to spend a week in March, in the Caribbean or Central America on some retreat. Read more
· News & Features
While an infinity-edge pool that glints under the sun is fabulous, nothing beats a private pool you need... Read more
After reading these five reasons to actually stop in Guatemala (think roasting marshmallows on a volcano,... Read more
Reading trip reports from other travelers can be an invaluable resource for planning your next vacation.... Read more