El Peten Restaurants
- Places to Explore
- Travel Tips
- Fodor's Choice
- Spanish Phrases
El Peten Restaurant Reviews
In El Petén you have a couple of choices for dining: comedores, which are small eateries along the lines of a U.S. café or diner, with simple and inexpensive local food; and restaurants, that, in general, are a little nicer and serve a wider selection of food, often with an international or American flavor. Restaurants are mostly in Flores and other towns. Elsewhere you'll probably eat in hotel or lodge dining rooms.
Some restaurants serve wild game, or comida silvestre. Although often delicious, the game has usually been taken illegally. You might see venado (venison), coche del monte (mountain cow or peccary), and tepezcuintle (paca, a large rodent) on the menu.
Browse El Peten Restaurants
Free Fodor's Newsletter
Subscribe today for weekly travel inspiration, tips, and special offers.
Fodor's Trip Planning Ideas
- Weekend Getaways: Fodor's Recommends the Best Weekend Escapes in the US
- Great American Vacation: Find Your Next U.S. Trip with Fodor's
- 80 Degrees: Fodor's Helps You Find Your Best Beach Vacation Spots
- Go List: Fodor's Top 25 Places to Go in 2013
- Hotel Awards 2012: Fodor's 100 Top Hotels
- Best of Europe: Fodor's Picks the Best Places to Visit in Europe
- Guatemala Experience IExplore
- Colonial Cities & Mayan Civilizations IExplore
- Guatemala, Honduras & Belize — $4,995 IExplore
- Colonial Cities & Mayan Civilizations — $4,695 IExplore