- Places to Explore
- Travel Tips
- Fodor's Choice
- Spanish Phrases
A mellow little town on the eastern shore of Lago Petén Itzá, El Remate is known mostly for its wood carvings, made by families that have dedicated themselves to this craft for generations. Just west of El Remate is the Biotopo Cerro Cahuí, and you can rent a canoe or kayak (around Q10 or US$1.20 an hour) at El Remate to explore the lake. Because it's less than one hour from both Tikal and Yaxhá, El Remate makes a good base for exploring the area.
El Remate at a Glance
Sports and Outdoors
Elsewhere in El Petén
- 80 Degrees: Fodor's Helps You Find Your Best Beach Vacation Spots
- Fodor's Go List 2014: Where we are going in 2014
- World Cup Fever: Start planning your trip to Brazil!
- Fodor's 100 Hotel Awards: Check out the winners of 2013
- Weekend Getaways: Fodor's Recommends the Best Weekend Escapes in the US
- Great American Vacation: Find Your Next U.S. Trip with Fodor's