When to Go
- Travel Tips
- Fodor's Choice
- Spanish Phrases
When to Go
A distinct division between dry (November to April) and rainy (May to October) seasons makes winter and spring months the ideal time to be in Antigua. This is also prime time for Antigua's many religious observances, the most famous of which is Semana Santa (March or April). Holy Week brings a series of daylong vigils, processions, and reenactments of Christ's last days in Jerusalem. You'll see Roman centurions charging through the streets on horseback, boulevards carpeted with colored sawdust and flowers, and immense hand-carried floats winding their way through throngs of onlookers. Make reservations months in advance if you plan to be here for Semana Santa.
Antigua's tourist population increases dramatically on weekends, as Guatemala City residents head out from the capital to their favorite destination. The city fits nicely into the beginning or end of your trip. Its proximity to Guatemala City's La Aurora International Airport makes it a good first or last place to visit.
Fodor's Trip Planning Ideas
- Fodor's 100 Hotel Awards: Check out the winners of 2013
- Weekend Getaways: Fodor's Recommends the Best Weekend Escapes in the US
- Great American Vacation: Find Your Next U.S. Trip with Fodor's
- 80 Degrees: Fodor's Helps You Find Your Best Beach Vacation Spots
- Best of Europe: Fodor's Picks the Best Places to Visit in Europe