Sights & Attractions in Antigua
- Travel Tips
- Fodor's Choice
- Spanish Phrases
Few places in the Americas hold such a repository of colonial architecture. Some still serve their original purpose, whereas others have morphed into hotels, restaurants, and shops. Still others stand magnificently in ruins. If ever there were a place you could overdose on history, Antigua is it. Avoid the temptation to rush from church to convent to monastery to palace and off to another church, all in one morning. (You'll see dazed tour groups doing exactly that.) Build in some down time and delight in the small things (ice cream, music, or shoe shines) that make this one of the hemisphere's most special places.
Nearly everything of interest (sights, restaurants, hotels, and services) sits in a 10-by-10-block grid in the center of the city, and you could possibly narrow that down even further by focusing on the immediate orbit of the central park. Most of the sights lie east, south, and north of the park.
Browse Antigua Sights
Browse Antigua Sights By Location
Free Fodor's Newsletter
Subscribe today for weekly travel inspiration, tips, and special offers.
Fodor's Trip Planning Ideas
- Weekend Getaways: Fodor's Recommends the Best Weekend Escapes in the US
- Great American Vacation: Find Your Next U.S. Trip with Fodor's
- 80 Degrees: Fodor's Helps You Find Your Best Beach Vacation Spots
- Go List: Fodor's Top 25 Places to Go in 2013
- Hotel Awards 2012: Fodor's 100 Top Hotels
- Best of Europe: Fodor's Picks the Best Places to Visit in Europe
- Visit Guatemala City for Less: Hotels Fr $72+/Nt Travelocity
- Small budget: Stay in Guatemala City this May Fr $116+/Nt Expedia
- Visit Guatemala City for Less: Hotels Fr $115+/Nt — $115 Travelocity
- Save Big This May! Book 3 Nts in Guatemala City Fr $98+/Nt — $98 Expedia
- Holiday Inn Guatemala on Sale: Book 3 Nts in May Fr $99+/Nt — $99 Expedia