- Travel Tips
- Fodor's Choice
- Spanish Phrases
Coffee? Macadamia Nuts?
The northern Las Verapaces is the part of the country most associated with coffee, historically and culturally, but Guatemala Antigua gets rave reviews as the country's best-known java ambassador to the world. Several fincas (plantations) lie near Antigua and offer tours. If your interests run more to macadamia nuts, one farm raises those, too. Make reservations at least one day in advance for any of the following options.
Finca Filadelfia offers coffee tours weekdays 10 am and 2 pm, Sat. 10 am. 150 meters north of Iglesia de San Felipe de Jesus, Antigua, 03001. 7831-1191. www.rdaltoncoffee.com.
Finca Los Nietos offers coffee tours weekdays 8:30 to 11 am and 1:30 to 3 pm. Call in advance to arrange a tour in English. 6 km 4 mi from Antigua, San Lorenzo El Cubo, 03001. 7831-5438. www.fincalosnietos.com.
Finca Valhalla has daily macadamia tours from 8 am to 4:30 pm. 7 km 4 mi southwest of Antigua, ½ km ¼ mi before San Miguel Dueñas, Antigua, 03001. 7831–5799. www.exvalhalla.net.
Fodor's Trip Planning Ideas
- Fodor's 100 Hotel Awards: Check out the winners of 2013
- Weekend Getaways: Fodor's Recommends the Best Weekend Escapes in the US
- Great American Vacation: Find Your Next U.S. Trip with Fodor's
- 80 Degrees: Fodor's Helps You Find Your Best Beach Vacation Spots
- Best of Europe: Fodor's Picks the Best Places to Visit in Europe