Dial 911 for an ambulance, the fire department, or the police. Costa Ricans are usually quick to respond to emergencies. In a hotel or restaurant, the staff will usually offer immediate assistance, and in a public area passersby can be counted on to stop and help.
For emergencies ranging from health problems to lost passports, contact your embassy.
General Emergency Contacts
Traffic Police (2222–9330 or.)
United States Embassy (C. 120 and Avda. 0, Pavas, San Jose, 10109. 2519-2000. costarica.usembassy.gov. Mon.-Fri. 8-4:30.)
Fodor's Trip Planning Ideas
- Fodor's 100 Hotel Awards: Check out the winners of 2013
- Weekend Getaways: Fodor's Recommends the Best Weekend Escapes in the US
- Great American Vacation: Find Your Next U.S. Trip with Fodor's
- 80 Degrees: Fodor's Helps You Find Your Best Beach Vacation Spots
- Best of Europe: Fodor's Picks the Best Places to Visit in Europe