An earthquake in 1991 wreaked havoc on the country's century-old rail links, and service was completely suspended in 1995. An east–west commuter-rail route now plies San José, and another route connects the capital with Heredia, but these are geared to the needs of workaday commuters.
- 80 Degrees: Fodor's Helps You Find Your Best Beach Vacation Spots
- Fodor's Go List 2014: Where we are going in 2014
- World Cup Fever: Start planning your trip to Brazil!
- Fodor's 100 Hotel Awards: Check out the winners of 2013
- Weekend Getaways: Fodor's Recommends the Best Weekend Escapes in the US
- Great American Vacation: Find Your Next U.S. Trip with Fodor's