- Bird-watching Spot beauties such as the scarlet macaw and resplendent quetzal.
- Enormous Corcovado National Park The last refuge of endangered jaguars and tapirs.
- Kayaking Head to the Golfo Dulce or along the jungly channels of the Sierpe or Colorado rivers.
- Mountain hikes Hiking paths here range from easy daytime treks around luxurious lodges to Costa Rica's toughest 3,820-meter (12,532-foot) Cerro Chirripó.
- Wild places to stay Relax in the country's top eco-lodges, rustic thatch-roof beach bungalows, and cozy mountain cabins.
Need a break from the big city? View 42-hour itineraries from 13 cities.More